Book & Film Reviews
TAISHO KIMONO, Speaking of Past and Present By Jan Dees Photography by Michiel Elsevier Stokmans
Hardback 11 3/4 inches by 9 1/2 inches 291 pages Exhibition of Kimono in colour, plus old black and white photographs of the Era.
ISBN 978-88-572-0011-8 First Edition 2009 Published in Italy by Skira Editore.S.p.A
This is the book which accompanies the Kimono Exhibition at the Rotterdam Kunsthal, Holland. It's aim is to show the extraordinary era of kimono production in the years 1912-1926, the Taisho Era, together with an insight into the kimono of the late Meiji years and those of the early Showa Era up until the beginning of the Second World War, when kimono production stopped entirely. The Taisho Era kimono designs were influenced by both tradition and modernity. Here was a cross over of Eastern and Western cultures, especially as the West was undergoing a major change in art and fashion, the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods, after the austerity of the First World War years. Although the book is primarily a photographic record of these kimono, there is also interesting and informative text for the collector. The decoding of many of the artistic symbols found in the kimono designs, especially men's garments, in this exhibition, is particularly interesting.
Highly recommended for the collector of Japanese textiles and art alike, this book accelerates the feeling of wanting to collect these wonderful pieces of history, and it must be said, at this moment in time, that is still possible, we are still able to obtain examples, however talking to experts and dealers in Japan, this will not always be the case in future years.
- [Film] HARAKIRI: DEATH OF A SAMURAI (2011) DVD (14/05/2012)
- [Film] 13 ASSASSINS 2010 DVD REVIEW (18/10/2011)
- [Film] VILLAIN (2010) REVIEW (25/08/2011)
- [Film] SHOGUN ASSASSIN 1980 BLURAY REVIEW (29/01/2011)
- [Book] THE JAPANESE HOUSE, Material Culture in the Modern Home by Dr. Inge Daniels, Photography by Susan Andrews (08/01/2011)
- [Film] KAIJU : THE ULTIMATE GAMBLER DVD REVIEW (23/08/2010)
- [Film] ALONE ACROSS THE PACIFIC 1963 DVD CAPSULE REVIEW (09/08/2010)
- [Film] TOKYO SONATA 2008 BLURAY CAPSULE REVIEW (28/07/2010)
- [Film] SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO 2007 DVD REVIEW (11/06/2010)
- [Film] FIST OF LEGEND 1994 BLU RAY REVIEW (05/04/2010)
- [Film] RAN 1985 BLU RAY REVIEW (23/03/2010)
- [Film] THE BEST JAPANESE FILMS OF 2009 (05/01/2010)
- [Film] IMPRINT 2006 Masters of Horror TV Episode (21/10/2009)
- [Film] ICHI 2008 DVD REVIEW (04/09/2009)
- [Book] THE BEAUTY OF TSUTSUGAKI by Entani Shigeru (13/08/2009)
- [Book] JAPANESE FISHERMEN'S COATS (12/08/2009)
- [Book] OTAFUKU Joy of Japan by Amy Katoh (10/08/2009)
- [Book] JAPANESE COUNTRY TEXTILES by ANNA JACKSON (26/04/2009)