Book & Film Reviews
JAPANESE COUNTRY TEXTILES by ANNA JACKSON
V&A Museum, Far Eastern Series
Hardback 8 3/4 inches by 10 inches, 124 Pages, Plates mostly colour. ISBN 1-85177-216-2 V&A Publications
This is a book for the serious collector, an informative look at the historical, economic and industrial past of Japan and their influence on Folk Textiles. It delves into the effects of the Folk Craft Movement, initiated by Yanagi Soetsu, in the 1930's. Other members of this group such as Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada, bringing Japanese textiles to the world audience.
The photographed textiles, in the book, are from the V&A's extensive collection, coming from the length and breadth of Japan, for example, bingata from Okinawa to the south, Ainu textiles from Hokkaido in the North. If you are beginner, in the realms of collecting Japanese Folk textiles, then this book, gives a very good grounding and definitely points you in the right direction.
The final chapter, reviews how the textile industry in Japan has coped with change and shows some more recent works, artisans projecting textile traditions into the 21st century..
Where do we go from here? It might be that you have your part to play.
- [Film] HARAKIRI: DEATH OF A SAMURAI (2011) DVD (14/05/2012)
- [Film] 13 ASSASSINS 2010 DVD REVIEW (18/10/2011)
- [Film] VILLAIN (2010) REVIEW (25/08/2011)
- [Film] SHOGUN ASSASSIN 1980 BLURAY REVIEW (29/01/2011)
- [Book] THE JAPANESE HOUSE, Material Culture in the Modern Home by Dr. Inge Daniels, Photography by Susan Andrews (08/01/2011)
- [Film] KAIJU : THE ULTIMATE GAMBLER DVD REVIEW (23/08/2010)
- [Film] ALONE ACROSS THE PACIFIC 1963 DVD CAPSULE REVIEW (09/08/2010)
- [Film] TOKYO SONATA 2008 BLURAY CAPSULE REVIEW (28/07/2010)
- [Film] SUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO 2007 DVD REVIEW (11/06/2010)
- [Film] FIST OF LEGEND 1994 BLU RAY REVIEW (05/04/2010)
- [Film] RAN 1985 BLU RAY REVIEW (23/03/2010)
- [Film] THE BEST JAPANESE FILMS OF 2009 (05/01/2010)
- [Book] TAISHO KIMONO, Speaking of Past and Present By Jan Dees Photography by Michiel Elsevier Stokmans (23/11/2009)
- [Film] IMPRINT 2006 Masters of Horror TV Episode (21/10/2009)
- [Film] ICHI 2008 DVD REVIEW (04/09/2009)
- [Book] THE BEAUTY OF TSUTSUGAKI by Entani Shigeru (13/08/2009)
- [Book] JAPANESE FISHERMEN'S COATS (12/08/2009)
- [Book] OTAFUKU Joy of Japan by Amy Katoh (10/08/2009)